Ben and Laurie's Seminary Expenses Fund

Click here to give to Ben and Laurie's Seminary Fund. We deeply appreciate your support!

Monday, April 21, 2008

another year is almost here...oh dear!

In honor of my (gulp) birthday being just around the corner, i thought it fitting to pause for a moment and reflect on life and the past year. "It has gone by so fast," as they say. Or in saved by the bell terms, "it seems like only yesterday we started..." Yes, i do get sentimental on these annual momentous occasions. (although, my cat mia isnt letting me get too sentimental, as she is meowing to get my attention so i'll play with her... "in a second, little one") Back to reflecting... What new insights did i have? How did i grow and change? Any "firsts"?? (food poisioning comes to mind! oh, and of course, joining my bloggy bloggy friends in the blogging community)

Truth be told, this is my "dreaded" birthday year. In talking with friends, it seems that many of us have an age which we have defined in our minds as "that age" which will separate us from "the old days" and bring us into "an older stage of life." The actual age is different for everyone and well, most of us are not ready for it when it comes knocking on our door. That's me this year. And tonight, as i try desperately to hold on to my current year, which has suited me well, i know that my only option is to surrender to destiny's knock, open the door graciously, and well, be a good host to this new phase. (glad i tidied up!)

I know that "i'm young," that "i have my whole life ahead of me," that i'll look back at this post in one year, five years, fifty years and smile at how melodramatic i was (and all of those other sayings we hear "the older generation" pass down to us - which we will inevitably pass down to the next generation). But darnet, it's my birthday, and not just any birthday but my "dreaded" birthday, and i'll be how i want to be and say what i want to say! (now how's that for dramatic??)

They say a watched pot never boils... perhaps if i get one of those going, i will be able to beat time at its own game! (or i'll just end up staring at a pot of water for a really, really long time. Not really my idea of birthday fun.)

Fine. I surrender! Bring on the birthday!! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it, sissy! If I made it thru, you'll sail on too.

ANy time you need to feel young again, just give me a call. I'll fill you in on the 70's, which I caught the tail end of :)

Anonymous said...

I love how many "quotes" you used in this post! It sounds like your "date with destiny" wasn't so bad after all, huh?? I'm happy that it included a "date at 8" with me! ;) Wish I could've been there for the wining and dining... have fun on game night... Ciao bella!!

Ben said...

I wanna play Catch Phrase!