Ben and Laurie's Seminary Expenses Fund

Click here to give to Ben and Laurie's Seminary Fund. We deeply appreciate your support!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

shocking news - a forrest gump contradiction??

I have seen Forrest Gump many times. My friend cady and i quote it often. Perhaps one day, i'll do a post on "favorite movie blips" and share a few of the favs with you.

One reference, though, always leads me to pause and think "wait a minute..." Maybe someone can clear up confusion if it's on my end. If i raise a good point, then this blog will have served a purpose of cracking the code on one of hollywood's most beloved films. (brilliant!)

Forrest lets jenny know that he is headed to war. "They're sending me...to viet-naaam."
Jenny, worried, responds with: "Promise me somethin'. Whatever happens, dont try to be brave. Just run. Just run away."

Cut to the war scene. Forrest is brave! Forrest doesn't just run away! In fact, he runs back into battle many times to save his fellow soldiers, including bubba, which leads to one of the sweetest moments in the film. "If i had known that this would be the last time i spoke to him, i probably woulda thought of somethin' better to say... hey bubba." (awww, best-good friends are great!)

The next time forrest runs into jenny, he is in washington dc receiving the metal of honor. Upon their departure, forrest gives the metal to jenny.

"Jenny, I want you...to have this."
"I cant take your metal, forrest"
"But i got it just by doing what you told me to do."
(now this is the point when i pause and say "wait a minute..." Is it just me or did he actually do the exact opposite of what she told him?)

I'm left baffled everytime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may be onto something here... I personally always thought he was referring to her advice to "run, forrest, run," which led him into all his various adventures... but when you put it that way, it does seem a bit sketchy! Glad to see that Laurie's Little Blog is back in action!!!