Ben and Laurie's Seminary Expenses Fund

Click here to give to Ben and Laurie's Seminary Fund. We deeply appreciate your support!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

early to rise

Ben and I have been in awe of his brother Joel for awhile. He wakes up so dang early, from what we can tell, every single morning! Not only that, but he is chipper at that time of day! This is something i cannot understand, having never been one to awake with a smile already on my face. Growing up, I remember snapping at my mom on several occasions because she simply would ask me a question or try to engage in a brief conversation. But it was while i was getting ready for school and thus i was not in the mood to be chatty patty. (sorry mom!)

But times they are a changin' and now i desire to make the most out of every day. Therefore, I wanted to find out from my bro-in-law what his secret was to rising AND shining at that time of day.

Joel told me that he used to have a tough time waking up early, and that he had to train his body to make the transition. He still goes to sleep at a normal to late time so he has trained himself to not need as much sleep as he was used to getting.

He likes waking up early because, as he said, this is when the people who change the world are up and out the door. I found that to be very interesting. He and Ben agreed that there was something very nice about walking around the city in the crispness of the morning. It's more quiet, more peaceful, and there's a full day to look forward to.

I asked Joel how long it took him to make the transition to morning man. One, two days?? Weeks perhaps? His response: about 6 months or so. Yikes! That's a long time! I'm not the most high functioning person when i dont get my desired amount of sleep and so the thought of being at that level for 6 months is terrifying! But would it be worth it in the long run???

This weekend, i was awake early each morning and it made for a fun, fun time. I got tired here and there but the joy of living life made it worth it. So as i ponder the words of my bro-in-law, i feel inspired to attempt the transition to this new lifestyle. I always find myself saying, "if only there was more time in the day!" Well self, there is! I just have to be awake for it.

3 comments:

Matt Duffy said...

I've had an interest in training myself to wake up earlier for several years now. Although I never enjoy waking up, regardless of the hour, I've noticed that I generally like the morning once I've "booted up." Along the way I also became convinced the quality of my life would improve if I were to be in sync with circadian rhythms and wake up every day exactly at dawn, presumably what my ancestors did for many eons, before the invention of the alarm clock.

Shelley does not share this desire, and as such represents my biggest obstacle. Maybe I should just do it anyways and stop using her as an excuse!

Anonymous said...

You can do it, Laurie! The early bird is way cooler :)

Unknown said...

yes, go for it duffy!! I got up this morning and ben and i got into a discussion on the health care bill...this is something i would have never thought possible at such an early time of the day. I'm almost one week into this and so far so good.