Ben and Laurie's Seminary Expenses Fund

Click here to give to Ben and Laurie's Seminary Fund. We deeply appreciate your support!

Saturday, August 7, 2010

new favorite quote

I have received several comments over the years about the quote that i used as my "signature" at the end of my emails. It was one that i found in the book Captivating, which is still and will always be one of my favorite books. I grew as a person tremendously from it. When we first started dating, Ben read Captivating and I read the men's version of it, Wild at Heart. These books spawned many deep discussions and helped us get to know one another. Couples near and far, we recommend doing this!!

The quote was:

"Security is not found in the absence of danger, but in the presence of Jesus."

SO TRUE!! I love it still to this day, and still find it to be such a comfort, especially in knowing that Jesus is with me all the time. Therefore, what is there to fear?? Um...NOTHING. Ahhhh, such sweet, sweet freedom.

So as you can see, this quote is near and dear to me, so in order to say that i have found a new one to turn to and find truth from, indicates that it must be great.

I found it in the book i'm currently reading that I talked about here. It is specifically in Chapter 3, Struggle: The Spirituality of the Desert Saints. I for one had never heard of the desert saints (has anyone??) and am discovering the vast amount of wisdom that these folks have to pass on. This particular quote is part of their core beliefs. My prayer is that this wisdom will reach the core of my spirit and shape me. It is one thing to read a good book or good quote; it's another to have it change the reader. That is my prayer - that i will be truly changed by what I am reading.

This particular quote i find to be filled with truth and it also comes at a perfect time.

So here it is:

"...the goal of life in this world is not ease, prosperity and success but intimacy with God, maturity of character, and influence in the world."

Having just returned to New York from a fantastic vacation in North Carolina and Tennessee, i have been noticing more than usual the difficulties of New York living. You know, no laundry or dishwasher, having to walk everywhere even when it is 95 degrees outside, lighting issues in the apartment, noise, costs... So this quote is reminding me that in this life, I will struggle. I will not always have ease and comfort. I may some day not appear to be successful in the world's eyes. But if those things are not my goal, then they don't have to affect me, who I am at my core.

I desire so much to increase my intimacy with God, to continue to become a woman of mature character, and to make a difference in the world during my lifetime. These are the things of substance. These are the things that really matter.

I pray that I will truly, deeply be changed from this.

1 comment:

Megan said...

OOO OOO! & yes amen! good word sis.